is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any government agency

DMV-Renewal.comThe fastest way to get your Driver's License


Mailing Address

Post Office Box 958 Jackson, Mississippi 39205

Office Address


District One Locations

Mayor's Office
226 East Peace Street
Canton, MS 39046
Open Thursday only

Jackson Headquarters
Department of Public Service Headquarters
1900 East Woodrow Wilson
Jackson, MS 39205
Renewals and out of state transfers, no testing at this location.
Open Monday through Friday

Jackson Metro Center Mall
1101 Metro Center Mall, Space #1
Jackson, MS 39209
(601)352-6928 or
Open Monday through Friday

Mendenhall Police Department
167 West Maud Avenue
Mendenhall, MS 39114
Open Tuesday only

State Highway Safety Patrol Troop C Building
3851 Highway 468
Pearl, MS 39208
CDL Station
Open Monday through Friday

Juvenile Detention Center
1100 Grove St, Suite C
Vicksburg, MS 39180
Open Monday through Friday

Yazoo City
Teen Center
1220 Jackson Ave
Yazoo City, MS 39194
Open Wednesday only

District Two Locations

Multiplex Building
417 Silver City Road
Belzoni, MS 39038
2nd & 4th Thursday
8:30-4:30 (closed 12:00-1:00 for lunch)
Renewals, driving & written tests
Call for test times

Agriculture Center
406 N. Martin Luther King Drive
Renewals, driving & written tests
Call for test times

CDL Office Building
420 Highway 82 West
CDL written tests, driving tests & renewals
Call for test times

701 Highway 82 West
Renewals, driving & written tests
Call for test times

MHP Building
2140 South Commerce
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday
Renewals, driving & written tests
Call for test times

Justice Court Building
202 Main Street
1st & 3rd Thursday
8:30-4:30 (closed for lunch 12:00-1:00)
Renewals, driving & written tests
Call for test times

550 Highway 12 East
8:30-4:30 (closed for lunch 12:00-1:00)
Renewals, driving & written tests
Call for test times

113 China Street
2nd & 4th Wednesday
8:30-4:00 (closed 12:00-1:00 for lunch)
Renewals, written & driving tests
Call for test times

Old Justice Court Building
115 North Quitman Street
1st & 3rd Wednesday
8:30-4:30 (closed 12:00-1:00 for lunch)
Renewals, written & driving tests
Call for test times

District Three Locations

22000 A Highway 35 North
Batesville, MS 38606

Open Monday through Friday

144 Ritch Street
Clarksdale, MS 38614
Open Monday through Friday

159 License Drive
Nesbit, MS 38651
CDL Station
Open Monday through Friday

Olive Branch
6569 Cockrum Street, Building B, Suite 1
Olive Branch, MS 38654
Open Monday through Friday

Highway 7 South
Oxford, MS 38655
Open Monday through Friday

Ditrict Four Locations

Westside Community Center
200 Dallison Drive
Booneville, MS 38229
Open 1st & 3rd Wednesday of the month

38 Gross Ave.
Burnsville, MS 38833
2nd & 4th Wednesdays

Alcorn County Sheriff's Office
2759 South Harper Road
Corinth, MS 38834
Monday through Friday

Court House
201 West Main Street
Fulton, MS 38843
Open 1st & 3rd Tuesday of the month

Holly Springs
136 Alderson Street
Holly Springs, MS 38635
Open 1st & 3rd Thursdays of the month

Rescue Squad Building
1109 Maria Lane
Iuka, MS 38852
Open Monday only

New Albany
1103 Bratton Road
New Albany, MS 38652
CDL Station
Open Monday though Friday

Agri Building
Pontotoc, MS
Open Monday
8:30-4:30, Closed one hour for lunch

752 West Section Line Street
Ripley, MS 38663
Open 2nd & 4th Thursdays of the month

635 DayBrite Drive
Tupelo, MS 38801
(662)842-3942 fax
Open Monday through Friday
8:00 to 5:00

District Five Locations

City Hall
125 West Commerce Street
Aberdeen, MS 39730
Open Mondays

Monroe County Government Complex Building
1619 Highway 25 North
Amory, MS 38221
Open Wednesdays

City Office Building
114 Highway 9 North
Eupora, MS 39744
Open Thursdays

Houston Police Department Court Room
224 E. Madison St.
Houston, MS 38851
Open Tuesdays

115 South Court Street
Louisville, MS 39339
Open Monday and Friday

Columbus-Lowndes County Administrative Building
17 Airline Road
Lowndes, MS 39701
(662)329-1508 fax
CDL site
Open Monday through Friday

166 Shannon Street
Pittsboro, MS 38951
Open 4th Tuesday of the month

Starkville Substation
987 Highway 182 East
Starkville, MS 39759
(662)323-4271 fax
Open Monday through Friday

West Point
Sheriff's Office
330 West Broad Street
West Point, MS 38821
Open Thursday and Friday

District Six Locations

477 West 3rd Street
Open Thursday and Friday

841 Highway 19 North
Meridian, MS 39307
(601)484-5521 fax
Open Monday through Friday

523 Coliseum Drive
Old Highway 15 North
Newton, MS 39345
CDL Station
Open Monday through Friday

288 West Beacon
Philadelphia, MS 39350
Open Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday

Walnut Grove
102 Park Street
Walnut Grove, MS 39189
Open Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday

District Seven Locations

Collins-Covington Courthouse
101 Dogwood Avenue
Collins, MS 39428
Open 1st and 3rd Tuedays of the month

Columbia City Hall
201 Second Street
Columbia, MS 39429
Open Wednesdays and Thursdays

35 Tatum Drive
Hattiesburg, MS 39401
CDL Station
Open Monday through Friday

130 N. 12th Avenue
Laurel, MS 39443
Open Monday through Friday

Prentiss City Library
2229 Pearl Street
Prentiss, MS 39474
Open 2nd & 4th Tuesdays of the month

99 Central Industrial Road
Purvis, MS 39475
Open every Monday
1100 Cedar Street
Old Hospital
Waynesboro, MS 39367
Open Fridays

District Eight Locations

Bay St. Louis
3016 Longfellow Road
Bay St. Louis, MS 39520
(228)467-8056 fax
CDL Station
Open Monday through Friday

16741 Hwy 67
Biloxi, MS 39532
(228)396-7400 voice
(228)396-7441 fax
Open Monday through Friday

10393 Automal Parkway (MEMA trailer)
D'Iberville, MS 39540
(228)392-4870 fax
CDL Station
Open Monday through Friday

Senior Citizen Building
Lucedale, MS 39452
Open Wednesdays only

2914 Shortcut Road
Pascagoula, MS 39581
Open Monday through Friday

917 Goodyear Blvd
Picaune, MS 39466
Open Monday through Friday

District Nine Locations

160 Highway 84 East
Brookhaven, MS 39601
(601)833-7989 fax
CDL station
Open Monday through Friday

724 Highway 61 North
Natchez, MS 39120
(601)442-0408 fax
CDL station
Open Monday through Friday

708 Laurel Street
Summit, MS 39666
Open Monday through Friday

Walthall County Library
707 Union Road
Tylertown, MS 39667
Open 1st & 3rd Wednesday of the month

Wilkinson County Extenstion Office
982 Second South Street
Woodville, MS 39669
Open 2nd Thursday of the month

Contact Number

(601) 987-1212

Choose Your License

In Mississippi, a Class R driver’s license allows first-time drivers and new Mississippi residents to drive regular passenger vehicles in the state, and a Class LP learner’s permit is the first step in that direction―even if you’re over 17 and don’t have to keep it for any specific length of time.

However, before beginning the application process, take note of all the licenses the Mississippi Department of Public Safety (DPS) offers:

  • Class D Non-Commercial Licenses allow you to operate non-commercial vehicles that aren’t quite “regular” passenger vehicles (taxis, etc.) .
  • Class E Motorcycle Permits and Endorsements allow you to operate motorcycles.
  • Commercial Driver Licenses (CDLs) include Class A, B, and C licenses and allow you to operate commercial vehicles.

NOTE: If you’re under the age of 18, you must comply with Mississippi’s own version of the graduated driver licensing (GDL) system. This means, in addition to a Class LP learner’s permit, you must also get a Class Y intermediate license before you’re ready for full driving privileges. Please visit our Teen Drivers section for more details.

Take a Driver’s Education Course

Younger than 15―You’re only required to take a state-approved driver education course if you plan to apply for your Class LP learner’s permit at 14 ½ years old.

15 and Older―You aren’t required to take a driver education course, but enrolling in a supplemental training course certainly helps prepare you for your tests and for driving.

Prepare for the Test

Mississippi’s Driver’s Manual will definitely come in handy once you’re ready to begin studying, and you can pick up a copy at your local driver license location for $2. Once you’ve studied it, consider testing yourself with a few practice tests.

Locate a DPS Driver License Location

Your local DPS driver license location is where you’ll take your written tests and driving skills tests. You can call ahead to make an appointment or ask about hours and test schedules.

Make Test-Day Preparations

Whether you’re testing for your learner’s permit, your driver’s license, or both, be prepared to:

  • Contact your nearest driver license station to ask about appointments, hours, and test schedules.
  • Complete an Application for Mississippi Driver’s License.
  • Present your Social Security card or a document from the Social Security Administration.
  • Show your birth certificate.
  • Present proof of domicile.
  • Pass the required vision, written, and/or driving skills tests.
  • Pay the appropriate fee (learner’s permits are $4, Class R driver’s licenses for applicants under 18 are $6, and Class R driver’s licenses for applicants older than 18 are $21).

NOTE: If you’re younger than 18, you must also present a Certification of School Attendance.

Take the Written Test

Unless you’re a new Mississippi resident with a valid out-of-state license who simply needs to exchange for a Mississippi driver’s license, you must take the written test. Because not all stations offer every service, it’s best to contact your local driver license station to ask about services, appointments, and hours.

In addition to making sure you have all the required documents, paperwork, and fees―and possibly taking a supplemental training course―you can also prepare for your written test when you study the Mississippi’s Driver’s Manual.

NOTE: DPS driver license locations offer audio testing for applicants with special needs.

Once You Pass

Once you pass the written test, you will get your learner’s permit. As long as you’re at least 17 years old, you can immediately take your driving skills test (if time is available).

If You Fail

You are allowed to take your written test three times during a one-month period. If you fail all three times, you must wait 30 days to take the test again.

Get a Car

If you took a driver education course, chances are your instructor provided a vehicle for practice; however, now that you’re ready to take your driving test and make use of your driver’s license, you’ll need to get your own vehicle.

Make sure you purchase a vehicle that fits your lifestyle needs. If you do a lot of traveling, look into a car that gets good gas mileage. If you have a big family, perhaps you need a vehicle with plenty of room. And, if you’re looking for something especially affordable, consider purchasing a used vehicle. Given how easy it is to get a vehicle history report, you can make sure you’re getting a good buy―and not someone else’s problem.

Get Car Insurance

Mississippi requires all drivers to have insurance policies that meet certain minimum liability coverage requirements. We thoroughly cover those requirements, as well as help you shop for the best rate, at our Insurance Center.

Take the Driving Skills Test

Except for new residents with valid out-of-state licenses, everyone must take the driving skills test. Call ahead to find a driver license station that offers driving skills tests. You may need to make an appointment, or find out specific hours and test schedules.

You must bring your own vehicle for the driving skills test, and you must be able to show proof of insurance for that vehicle. Our Insurance Center can help you make sure your policy meets Mississippi’s minimum liability insurance requirements.

NOTE: The driver license station won’t administer your driving skills test if a licensed driver doesn’t drive you to the station.

Once You Pass

You will receive your Mississippi driver’s license immediately upon passing the driving skills test.

If You Fail

If you fail the driving skills test, you may be able to try again the next available day; however, this is always at the discretion of the examiner.

Receive Your License in the Mail

Conveniently, Mississippi drivers receive their licenses as soon as they pass their driving skills tests. Still, it’s best to keep your most current mailing address on file with the DPS for other correspondence.


Mississippi recognizes valid out-of-country driver’s licenses, but it’s also a good idea to get an International Driver's Permit (IDP) from your home country before you leave.

If you decide to establish residency, you must apply for a Mississippi driver’s license.

How to Apply as a Non-Citizen

You’ll follow the same application process as listed above (with the exception of presenting a Social Security card), and you must also be prepared to show your:

  • Birth certificate (a state-run university must translate it first).
  • Your passport.
  • Your I-94 card.
  • Your proof of domicile.
  • Either your I-20 or your DS-2019.
  • Any other valid immigration papers the DPS requests.

Your driver’s license will be valid for one year.

Determine the Status of Your License

You always need a current driver's license to operate a vehicle, so a mandatory renewal is required every four years.

Car insurance is also mandatory―the state determines the dollar minimums for each type of insurance coverage you need. If you're ready for a change, you can shop online for a carrier and compare rates at our Insurance Center.

Valid License

Owning a valid Class R license requires renewing every four years. You have two renewal options:

  • Online
  • In person

Ordering a driving record report will clarify any doubts regarding the status of your license.

NOTE: The license renewal process for commercial drivers differs from Class R licenses.

Expired License

Renewing an expired license comes with a $1 late fee. For more information, contact your local driver license location.

You may renew:

  • In person
  • Online, if your license has not been expired for more than one year

If you have doubts as to whether you're driving with an expired license, find out by ordering a driving record report.

Suspended License

Driving with a suspended license is not advised. To learn about the current status of your suspended or revoked license, give some thought to ordering a driving record report.

If and when you're reinstated, you may want to consider looking for an insurance carrier that won't penalize you for having a suspension with sky-high premiums.

Lost License

It's imperative that you immediately replace a lost or stolen license by applying for a duplicate.

Check Your Renewal Notice

Keep a keen eye on your license's expiration date, for the state does not send out renewal notices.

Renew Online

You can renew online under certain circumstances. You cannot renew online if:

  • Your current address is different from the one printed on your license.
  • You used the online option for your last renewal.
  • You're younger than 18 (within two months of turning 18 is okay) or older than 71.

Pay using MasterCard or Visa. In addition to the $21 renewal fee, you'll also be charged a $2.37 online fee and $1.50 for postage and handling.

Your new license should arrive in the mail within 12 days. If it does not arrive, contact the Department of Public Safety.

NOTE: You may renew online up to six months prior to your license's expiration.

Renew By Mail

Not an option.

Renew in Person

Visit your local driver license location with:

  • Your expiring license.
  • A check or cash to pay the $21 renewal fee.

Update Your Driving Skills

Renewing a license does not mean renewing your driving skills. Enrolling in a supplemental driving school course will hone your road-awareness and, depending on your insurance carrier, could lower your rates.

If your carrier does not acknowledge driving school courses, you always have the option of shopping for a new insurance company that does.

Lost your license? You can apply for a duplicate Mississippi driver's license in person or online through the Department of Public Safety. If you apply for a duplicate online, all information must be the same, no changes will be made, and the license will be mailed to the address on the lost license.

Acceptable Forms of ID

If you apply in person at your local driver's license office, you will need to provide two forms of identification. You can either supply two of the following documents from Group 1, or one from Group 1 and one from Group 2.

Primary Group

  • Driver's license (as long as it has not expired in the last six months).
  • Original or certified birth certificate (from the Bureau of Vital Statistics or State Board of Health bearing a raised seal).
  • State-issued identification card (as long as it has not expired in the last six months).
  • Certain U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS―formerly called Immigration and Naturalization Service, or INS) documents (check with the state regarding specific documents).
  • Court order, such as for adoption or name or sex changes (but the order must contain your full name and date of birth).
  • Military identification.
  • Valid U.S. or Canadian passport (passports issued from any other country must be accompanied by appropriate USCIS documentation).

Secondary Group

  • Bureau of Indian Affairs Card or Indian Treaty Card (tribal identification cards will not be accepted).
  • Court order that does not include your birth date.
  • Employer identification card.
  • Foreign birth certificate (translated by a state-approved translator).
  • Health insurance card.
  • IRS or state tax forms (W-2s will not work).
  • Marriage certificate or license.
  • Hospital or doctor medical records.
  • Military dependent identification.
  • Military discharge or separation papers.
  • Affidavit from a parent or guardian (he or she must show up in person and submit a certified or notarized affidavit stating that he or she is the parent or guardian).
  • Photo gun permit.
  • Pilot's license.
  • Certified school record or transcript.
  • Social Security card (nonmetal).
  • Student identification card with a photo.
  • Vehicle title or registration.
  • Voter registration card.

Proof of Residency

Along with the identification required, you will also need to provide proof that you reside in the state of Mississippi. The following might work: electric or water bill, lease agreement, vehicle-registration receipt, mortgage documents, homestead exemption receipt, bank statement, notarized employer verification on company letterhead (with a phone number) that states your address, your parent or guardian's state driver's license (valid for those who are under 21).


The cost to receive a duplicate license in Mississippi is $6. The second time you lose it and apply for a duplicate license, you will pay $11.

When You're Away

If you lose your license while traveling to another state or country, you don't have a lot of options. You'll either have to wait until you return to Mississippi to go in person to a driver's license office, or you can get the ball rolling by applying for a duplicate license online. Your new license will be sent to the address on file within 10 to 12 business days; someone at that address will have to then forward your license to you wherever you are staying.

If your address has changed or you don't know certain information―such as your driver's license number―you have no other choice but to apply for a duplicate in person.

It's a good idea when traveling to carry photocopies of your driver's license in a safe place, as well as another form of identification, such as your passport.

Changing your address in Mississippi requires that you visit your local driver's license office in person. If you change your address during your regular renewal time, there is no additional fee; if you change between renewals, you will be charged a $5 duplicate license fee.

You will need to furnish your current license and documentation showing your change of address. Typically, the items needed to prove your residency will work:

  • Electric or water bill
  • Lease agreement
  • Vehicle registration receipt
  • Mortgage documents
  • Homestead exemption receipt
  • Bank statement
  • Notarized employer verification on company letterhead (with a phone number) that states your address
  • The state driver's license of a parent or guardian (valid for those who are under 21)

Notify the State

After you legally change your name, you'll need to update the information on your driver's license or ID card, vehicle title, and vehicle registration.

Driver's License and ID Card

To change your name on your Mississippi driver's license or ID, visit your local driver's license office and submit your current driver's license along with a certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order showing your name change. The fee is $5 unless you make the change when you renew your license, in which case only the renewal charge will apply.

You are not required to present an updated Social Security card, unless you plan to use the card as proof of identity. Visit Social Security Online for more information about affecting a name change on your Social Security card.

Vehicle Registration and Title

When you change your name, you'll also need to change your vehicle registration and title to reflect that change. Visit your local tax commissioner's office to request an application. You'll need to present a copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order showing your name change.

The fee is $5.

Vehicle Registration